Kumbaya Leadership. . . or, how to ensure that nothing gets done in your organization.
Unlike true leadership, Kumbaya Leadership is a whole different flavor all together. Here are a few examples to describe what I mean.
- Make sure that your organization has an unbalanced number of ex-management consultants who have mastered the art of business-speak, have never managed an operation or people, are greasily good at selling an idea but are completely inept at execution.
- Concensus — yes, build concensus and ensure a zealous focus on concensus because this just might lead to paralysis and then nothing will get done in your organization.
- Grandiose quotes framed on every employee’s wall proclaiming belief in something that is worthy and true but made very cheesy by that framed quote — make sure all your people have one — no, two, of these.
- Must Have: Amorphous and generic mission statements — these are great and are meaningless. Make sure your organization has one or several and make sure that each department has one too — and spend days or several hours with dedicated FTE’s to create one.
- 3/4 or more of your organization should be Business Development folks — this way, everyone can focus on growing the business instead of running the current one.
- Pedigree — yes, not the dog-kind, but the school kind. Make sure the people in your organization rely on their pedigree instead of accomplishment. Quotes like “I’ve never managed an operation but I learned about it at b-school at [name drop here]” is what you want to hear to ensure zero gets done in your organization.
- Retreats and Gratuitious Offsite Meetings — yes, hold several of these over the fiscal year — 2 or 3 per month is ideal. I’m not talking about the fun, go-to-a-movie kind, but the full-blown, emotional, facilitator-led kind with highly paid facilitators that tell great stories, make you laugh, but leave you and the team empty: a twinkie-like experience — twinkies taste good, but have no substance.
There are more . . . from your experience, what are some of yours?
Become a Lean Six Sigma professional today!
Start your learning journey with Lean Six Sigma White Belt at NO COST