If you’ve been managing a business, you might have come across the term ‘Six Sigma Belts’ at some point in time. What are Six Sigma belts and why are they important? Let’s understand the fundamentals of Six Sigma certification.
Six Sigma Certification Levels
The Six Sigma Belts each signify a certification level, much like martial arts. The certifications end in the Master Black Belt — the highest certification level. A colored tier system has been adopted for Six Sigma certification.
Six Sigma White Belt
The White Belt indicates that the awardee has completed basic training in Six Sigma methodology and is familiar with the fundamental tools and techniques of Six Sigma.
Six Sigma Yellow Belt
The Yellow Belt is awarded to those who delve deeper into the working of Six Sigma and other specifics, including statistical analysis. You also get to learn how to apply Six Sigma principles to your projects and understand which processes to focus on. The Yellow Belt is typically for project team members and those seeking to improve the processes in their projects.
Six Sigma Green Belt
The Green Belt is experienced with data acquisition and analysis. Awardees support Black Belts with data analysis. Green Belts learn problem resolution for the improvement of process quality.
Six Sigma Black Belt
The Black Belt is awarded to an expert in Six Sigma principles. Such individuals are project leaders and initiate change which sets things going. They will also typically train, lead, and coach teams. Black Belts are excellent leaders and obtain a thorough understanding of team and business dynamics to assign roles to different members.
Six Sigma Master Black Belt
This is the highest certification level for Six Sigma. These individuals coach and train Green and Black Belts. They will decide which metrics to you and provide strategic directions to their team.
The Benefits of Six Sigma Belts
- Managers often complete Six Sigma certifications and acquire the necessary belts based on the certification level. They will become key resource points for the business to maneuver operations in the right direction so as to minimize defects and improve quality.
- A key advantage of gaining a Six Sigma Belt is that you get to expand your skills for use across sectors, as Six Sigma is an industry-independent methodology that applies equally well from banking to marketing.
- Master Black Belts interact with key business leaders and management.
- Black Belts are often hired as strategists, mentors, and leaders to guide entire teams.
- Six Sigma Belts help their businesses stay compliant with national and international standards while maintaining profitability in their respective competitive spaces
Six Sigma Belts have been designed to recognize a professional’s command of the Six Sigma principles to lead process improvements. The belts model martial arts certifications, starting at the Six Sigma White Belt and going up to the Six Sigma Master Black Belt.
Professionals acquire the belts with practical experience, examinations, and training. The belts are certification levels that help individuals climb the ladder of success in their own careers and in ensuring the success of the businesses they work for.
Become a Lean Six Sigma professional today!
Start your learning journey with Lean Six Sigma White Belt at NO COST