In material handling, warehousing and fulfillment, material has to be moved from one place to another. A Conveyor is a type of transport equipment, of which there are many types. Today, we’ll discuss one of the simplest types of conveyors: The Chute Conveyor.
Conveyor chutes are used in bulk handling to perform a variety of operations. In particular, the loading of a belt conveyor, and the transfer of material from one moving belt conveyor to another, are important tasks. Such operations are widely used for the transport of both coarse grain material (such as cereals, mineral ore and coal) and fine powders (as used in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries).
|Other Conveyors to Consider
In general, a chute conveyor is ideal for the following:
- Unit/Bulk + On-Floor + Accumulate
- Used to link two handling devices
- Used to provide accumulation in shipping areas
- Used to convey items between floors
- Difficult to control position of the items
- Main method of transport is gravity, making a chute conveyor very inexpensive
Below is a video, showing how a chute conveyor works:
Become a Lean Six Sigma professional today!
Start your learning journey with Lean Six Sigma White Belt at NO COST